Monday, February 13, 2012

With Love

What a way to live. With love. I read a quote the other day and it read, "Live your life so that you never have any enemies." What a great quote! That doesn't mean that you will never have people that don't like you, because sadly, you probably will, but we should be living a life where we don't intentionally make people unhappy or don't let people make us feel like you want to gouge their eyes out. More than I want to admit, I have felt like this towards people in my life... It's okay to feel angry, but don't let it linger.

Another quote comes from a coach of mine that I like to remember in times where I get angry, "Get mad and get over it." It's okay to have those feelings, but it's not okay to let them affect the rest of your life.  You can feel angry, but don't be angry. Don't let it be apart of you. Believe me, it affects everything else in your life. Whether you realize it or not. It's an anchor that holds you under that you need to cut from your life. The longer it's there, the harder it is to cut.

I am glad that I did this. Three times, in fact. The first one was the hardest, thickest rope of hate that I had to saw through. It took me a few years. There are many people that I personally know that have held this hatred burden for their whole lives. They are constantly bringing their hatred up into conversations, playing the victim, hunger for pity. This was me. ug. How embarrassing!! Sorry for all of you that had to endure my woeful plight. And thank you for listening.

It wasn't until I cut through that hate anchor and left it sinking hundreds of miles into the dark abyss that I realized that I was this pity seeker. I was the victim and wanted everyone to know. Now when I bring one of these circumstances up into conversation or think of it, I laugh. Laugh? Really!? I wondered why this was until I read something in a book about hate. I can't remember the exact quote, but what I remember is, "Just like addictions, you have replace the feeling of hate with something else." So I chose laughter. Actually, I didn't really choose it, but it was a natural sub-conscience transition that I have chosen to accept. Some choose longing or solace or peace... I chose laughter?

The other two?
One: Peace and
Two: Pity for others who have to endure one second of this man's presence. ;) Nice, huh?

So how do you broach the topic to those who are like this? Don't unless you are willing to let them cut you out. Do it with love. The only way to live.

What I have learned: You can still love someone and despise what they do.

1 comment:

  1. Two things come to my mind when I read this. The first is the scripture that says "I the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men. I too had to learn this the hard way, but when I learned it my eyes were opened. Not everybody intentionally hurts. Rather, some hurt without ever knowing they did it in the first place. Giving the benefit of the doubt can be a wonderful thing.
    And, with your last comment, I think of my sister. She has done a lot of things and put herself into a situation that nobody in my family wants to be a part of. But, she's still my sister and I still love her, even when I cringe at her FB status updates.

    ReplyDelete