Haley and I had our second Mother-Daughter date at the Ballet. It was performed at the Opera House in Budapest, Hungary. Do we look ready for a three hour Ballet?
Look how beautiful the building is! The entire building seemed like a work of art, an endless canvass.
The "Head" ballerina. Whatever they call her. She was wonderful! Haley said, "Mom! She looks just like Jen! Wait a minute. Is that her?" From then on out, we were both convinced that she was Jen Harper. Her mannerisms, how graceful she was, how beautiful she looked, her facial expressions...I even think she has a green dress that looks like that! I wish I had a better close up to show you.
The cast of "Gone with the Wind." Or is it a company? Poor Haley has an uneducated mother about everything to do with Dance. Where is Jen, Jamie, Brooke, AnneMarie, and Melissa when I need them?
I have never been to a professional Ballet before, so when my friend called me and asked if I wanted to go, I jumped at the chance to go. Not only did I go, I took Haley with me despite knowing that it would end at 10pm on a school night. (You can judge me later.) It was sooo worth it and you can't teach a cultural experience like this one at school. Haley was mesmerized the entire 3 hours! (minus the last ten minutes that she fell asleep. Again, it was totally worth it and I even let Haley be late to school the next day to make up for the missed sleep. oh shush!) It was a Ballet called, "Gone With the Wind," so it was based on the American book/movie.
After arriving and getting our balcony seats (for $6!!!) I leaned over to the other ladies and whispered, "I have a confession. I've never read or even seen Gone With the Wind!" You should have seen their faces! I got the same reaction from my sister-in-laws when I told them I had never seen Pride and Prejudice. Disbelief? Disgust maybe? But definitely a look of bewilderment. (Dropped jaw) What the? How could you have not seen it!! (I got to see Pride and Prejudice at my-in-law's home, by the way, for the first time the summer we lived in their home just after Haley was born after their insisting.) Thanks girlies! Now I have a motivation to see this movie. The only thing I know about this movie is the notable last line...
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a ... darn." To my defense, while others were watching the classic girlie movies while growing up, I had a father who watched all the Clint Eastwood westerns, Indiana Jones movies, pus all the action/adventure beat em' up-shoot em' up movies that my brothers and dad used to love. Rocky, Terminator, War movies galore, etc. etc. Many giving me nightmares to this day and will probably never make it into our own movie collection, but there you go. Now you know why.
So the Ballet was that much cooler now that I have a daughter that is completely girlie and that I can see her joy in the show. She knows more about Ballet than I do. She was telling me all her moves. I told her that next time I will have to take Maleia and she cried thinking that she wouldn't be there too. Next time we'll just get a Matinee so the whole family can go. Right B? ... B? :) Have you ever seen Home Improvement? Jill tries so hard sooo many times for Tim to take her to the Ballet and he tries to avoid it like the plague and even brings in a portable TV to watch football instead of watching the Ballet when she finally finagles him into going. I can picture B doing this.
Okay, since I'm on a roll of confessions. I have yet another confession: I have never seen Steel Magnolias or Little Women! (gasp!!) :)
Thanks Haley for a great night. I love spending time with you and our great talks were so fun tonight. "Wow mom. It sure looks like they 'prasticed' a whole lot. Maybe even for years!" Thanks for teaching me some Ballet and I was glad to answer all your fun questions. "Is he really dead, or is he pretending? Will he stop dancing now, or will he come back as a different person?" "What is war?"
We will definitely have to go and see The Nuckracker Ballet that they show EVERY year during December.

I've never read nor seen Pride and Prejudice OR Gone With the Wind.
ReplyDeleteBut Steel Magnolias and Little Women??? Those are two of the best!!
Little Women is best read (make sure it's the full version). Steel Magnolias is best watched. With tissues.
If you insist on watching Little Women, watch the Wynona Ryder version. The old Elizabeth Taylor version stinks.
You two are gorgeous! I am glad you had such a great time. The building was beautiful! I haven't been to a ballet in years and I can't believe your seats were only $6! Nice job! This probably won't come as a surprise to you but I will confess anyway... aside from P&P I have not read those books or seen any of those movies either! I just barely started watching "chick flicks" recently. I am coming along... =) Someday we will have to go to the ballet together while Tyler and Brandon watch football since there is no way Tyler would go either... although... you and I would be missing the football then...? Love you and miss you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea--mom and daughter date night at the ballet! I bet it made Haley feel so special, especially on a school night. Don't worry about the chick flicks, it's like anything else, different strokes for different folks--I've never seen Goonies (sp?)or Gremlins, and it drives John nuts that I think Goonies is probably a scary movie due to the title... :)
ReplyDeleteCami and Emma and I have tickets to see the nutcracker on Christmas Eve. I think it is going to be so fun...and half that fun will be watching Emma watch it. And I am sick to my stomach about your lack of girl movie watching. {Imagine me wiping away a little tear.}
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to check with Jenn, but I'm pretty sure from my Firefly watching that the "head ballerina" is the Prima Ballerina.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful building. Oh, to be in Europe...where the history comes from. *sigh*
Right, well don't worry about the girlie movies. But I do suggest you check out steel magnolias. I've known many a girl that is shocked when I tell them I don't like Jane Austen. I love to read, but that is just too flowery. And I"m not particular fond of P&P no matter if it's Colin Firth or that one with Keira Knightly.
I'll save my righteous indignation for the fact that you haven't seen most of the American classics, since you both looked just so darn cute on your mother-daughter date! Even I had to resort to a "sigh, awwwwww! mother-daughter bonding!"
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun thing to do together. You guys look great. I love going to the ballet, but it's been forever. And by the way, I'm convinced that dancer was Jen Harper! And with the whole watching GWTW and P&P, you are not missing much. I guess it's good to see it once, but I'm not a huge fan of that stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty much on the same page you are as far as not seeing/reading most of those books/movies.
ReplyDeleteBut this sounds like such a great adventure -- so fun. And I love, love, love it that you let her stay up late on a school night. She won't forget this -- it will be in her memory forever. Love it.
What a fun night out! And that theater is gorgeous, same goes for you and your beautiful daughter. I can't wait for fun mother-daughter dates with Eliza. I guess I'm pretty lucky with Brian...he'll go see most any show I choose. We've been to see Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera and we're going to see Thriller next weekend. We were supposed to see My Fair Lady last month but never arranged it with our busy schedules. I'm pretty sure he'd be game for a ballet as well. I'm not too sure about a traditional opera, but he loves the symphony.
ReplyDeleteAs for the girlie movie confession...I've never seen or read Gone With The Wind either. It's on my huge list of things to do. Someday...
How cool Mo. That building looks gorgeous. K, you really have to at least watch Gone With the Wind. One of my favorites. I'm actually reading the book right now and it is such a delicious read. You are the bestest mom ever!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun mommy daughter date! and cheap too! that building looks like something out of a movie. so beautiful and you girls are too!
ReplyDeleteOh how beautiful! You both look so pretty and the theatre- WOW! A ballet based on GWTW- where has this been all my life!? One of my favorites!!! And yes Monique you must read the book and watch the movie ( although Chris hates the movie). I've read it one too many times, maybe I'll send you my copy...its in a box here somewhere!
ReplyDeletePS- Go Haley for lasting through it!!