- "It doesn't matter where you are as long as you are happy. And we are happy."
- "When you are in a different place, you can't focus on all the things that you miss where you used to be, you need to find those things that are great all around you and learn to laugh at the funny little differences." (Though, I still miss my family and friends and think about them often, I just don't think about how much I miss them. I try to think about how awesome they are and remember all the fun times we had. There is a difference.)
- Someone asked me if I am homesick and I responded, "Huh? I AM home." Then I told them, "I do miss my family and friends and I really love all my homes: Utah, Colorado, Mexico, and Maryland, but I love Hungary too because in all these places I can call home and I have soo many fond memories in each place with family and friends, but I have to be happy where I am." And yes, I do miss my family and friends, but they are all only a phone call away. (I wish you could all get a webcam, so we can see you.) But we all know that you can look forward to things in the future and be excited about new things. For example, we ALREADY have to start thinking of places where we want to live next in the world... so many places... it's quite overwhelming to think about, but we get the chance to pick 5 places where we would like to live. Our "wish list" if you will. Tailand? China? Africa? Germany? It's hard to think about right now becuase I am just getting used to living here.
We need to try to ALWAYS find the joys in our journey. Life will be tough, but it wouldn't be as hard if you keep finding happiness wherever you go in whatever you have to face. How can I have happiness you ask? I have to credit having an eternal perspective, knowing that there is a season for everything, and choosing to be happy. Knowing that there IS a purpose to life, knowing that my kids won't stay little forever and though it makes my heart ache, I can look forward to the happiness of them being older, and then like Elder Wirthlin stated, "Come what may, and love it. In spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result." I also love it when he told us to laugh more over little things. "Learn to laugh." I need to learn to laugh more when the times are tough. He told some really funny stories. Can you tell this was my favorite talk? I love Elder Wirthin. I always look forward to his talks. I know we aren't supposed to have favorites, but he's mine. Remember last April when Elder Russell had to come to the pulpit and steady Elder Wirthin's uncontrollable shaking? I still tear up when I think about it. Anyway, I just think he is an AMAZING example of being happy in spite of adversity because he lives what he teaches. (I am listening to his talk now as I write.)
I am so grateful for being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints where I can have a personal relationship with my Heavenly Father and have found that my relationship with Him has boosted big time being here in Hungary as I pour out my uncertainties and express my undying gratitude for being able to have this opportunity and having such an amazing family. He loves me and wants us all to be happy. He expects me to help others find happiness too because "where much is given, much is required." Elder Boyd K. Packer
And as for "finding MORE joy in the journey," I will try to do this because I know there are times where I can find happiness instead of stress. One of the final statements in Elder Worthin's talk sums up my entry quite well: "The simple secret is this: Put your trust in the Lord. Do your best, and leave the rest to Him." Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
What are your joys in life? This entry was inspired by my friend Lucy who I love and know is going through some tough stuff right now. She is a total rock and if you want to add to the happiness in the journey, add her post to your blog and she will add your "joy" post to her blog and we can help spread our joy to help others who we all know may need it. Heck, I need it! click here
Last but not least: "Whatever our God has blessed you with take it with a grateful hand. Nor postpone your joys from year to year, so that in whatever place you have been, you may say, that you have lived happily." Horace, ancient Roman philospher.

What a completely beautiful post. I echo all your thoughts -- we are all supposed to be happy here. It might (OK, it WILL) be tough but there is joy to be found in everything.
ReplyDeleteMine? My family. Hands down. And friends. Like you. Love you, Monique.
... and that is why you are RS Pres. =)
ReplyDeleteSeriously though that was an awesome thought. We should all remember our blessings and how lucky we truly are. Love you guys!
P.S. We have a built in web cam...
Great post.
ReplyDelete{I found the Pina Colada juice in the store next too the other boxed OJ's and cold juices... I don't know if they will have it in Hungrey, but something to look forward too when you get back to the states.:) I wish you could bottle that though, someone (more domestic than myself) should try, and then I can copy them}
Nice thoughts Monique. You are so impressive.
ReplyDeleteConference was wonderful!
Awesome posts! I wish I would have read yours before posting mine--although then I would have just written "see Monique's" :-)
ReplyDeleteLoved that talk soo much! You have such a wonderful attitude! Your doing much better in your new place than I have in mine and I have been here almost 2 years.
ReplyDelete