It's always a struggle to prepare as a teacher for a new class because you REALLY don't know what to expect. Granted, I only have 7 students in my class, but I prepare much of the summer (okay, only the last month) like every other teacher. It's part of the fun. Yes, I said fun. I like to find new and exciting activities, prepare my calendar, revamp my schedules, and adjust my curriculum. It's my job kick that I get out of it. Fulfillment that I need for some reason. Some moms are just fine giving up their career for a greater life-long career, but I just can't do that so easily.
I am always looking for something I can do to fulfill that 'career' part of my life. Sure I don't make much, but I really enjoy teaching in my home. Heck, I KNEW I was going to be a teacher since 1st grade. Haley is pretty much the same way. She comes home from school and then swindles (that might be a too harsh of a word) persuades her two younger siblings to be her students. They actually like it as well! It's fun to see her teach. She's actually pretty good and gets excited when she teaches them something new. Just like me!
The worst is when I am so excited to tell a parent about how their child accomplished something and they smile blankly, nod, and yell, "It's time to go sweetie!" to their child. sigh. Aren't you excited that your child can string fruit loops all by himself?? That was hard for him a month ago!
So on to the first week. It was an adjustment since I have six 3-4 year olds and then Dylan who just BARELY turned 2. I remember teaching 4 kids in a co-op with 3 other moms with girls who were two. Abby, Gabby, Annabel, and Haley. Oh how I loved that blissful year where I had three weeks off to go to Michael's and the Scrapbook stores and dropoff time to sit and chat. Then there were my other 5 kids who were all 2 as well. It was Maleia, Jack, Amelia, Zoe, and Angela. They were all just barely 2 and just somewhat talking! Jack said, "Buzz Ightyear" every day. Angela talked about her dad on a daily basis. Amelia wanted to read "Mamma Duck" every day. Maleia wouldn't stop talking and kept referring to me as Ms. Monique even after school was over. Zoe was afraid of the potty and our Beta fish, but quick as a whip. That was so fun!
This week I had to really adjust my expectations for Dylan and I already knew that his attention span will be less than the other kids, but I now have to expect that the other kids will just have to be okay with that too. He is loving it, so why worry, right? Now that I have jumped through all my Bureaucracy hoops, including the signing of a liability waiver (don't get me started), we are off to a great start!
I am always looking for something I can do to fulfill that 'career' part of my life. Sure I don't make much, but I really enjoy teaching in my home. Heck, I KNEW I was going to be a teacher since 1st grade. Haley is pretty much the same way. She comes home from school and then swindles (that might be a too harsh of a word) persuades her two younger siblings to be her students. They actually like it as well! It's fun to see her teach. She's actually pretty good and gets excited when she teaches them something new. Just like me!
The worst is when I am so excited to tell a parent about how their child accomplished something and they smile blankly, nod, and yell, "It's time to go sweetie!" to their child. sigh. Aren't you excited that your child can string fruit loops all by himself?? That was hard for him a month ago!
So on to the first week. It was an adjustment since I have six 3-4 year olds and then Dylan who just BARELY turned 2. I remember teaching 4 kids in a co-op with 3 other moms with girls who were two. Abby, Gabby, Annabel, and Haley. Oh how I loved that blissful year where I had three weeks off to go to Michael's and the Scrapbook stores and dropoff time to sit and chat. Then there were my other 5 kids who were all 2 as well. It was Maleia, Jack, Amelia, Zoe, and Angela. They were all just barely 2 and just somewhat talking! Jack said, "Buzz Ightyear" every day. Angela talked about her dad on a daily basis. Amelia wanted to read "Mamma Duck" every day. Maleia wouldn't stop talking and kept referring to me as Ms. Monique even after school was over. Zoe was afraid of the potty and our Beta fish, but quick as a whip. That was so fun!
This week I had to really adjust my expectations for Dylan and I already knew that his attention span will be less than the other kids, but I now have to expect that the other kids will just have to be okay with that too. He is loving it, so why worry, right? Now that I have jumped through all my Bureaucracy hoops, including the signing of a liability waiver (don't get me started), we are off to a great start!
Here's a fun story of the first week:
Nora: Will you play hide and seek with me?
Monique: Of course. Maybe our other friends would like to play too.
Nora: mmmm. Okay. As long as I get to find them all first.
Monique: Deal. (I get everyone who wants to play and tell them to hide in the other room while I take Nora into the kitchen to instruct her to count and to not look until done.)
Nora: Do I have to hide my eyes?
Monique: Not if you can't see the room. How high can you count?
Nora: To seven.
Monique: Well I need to hide fast then! Just count really slow. GO! (I run to hide. The other kids are all together under the table. I pick a great spot behind the couch.)
Nora: ooooooooooooone...... twooooooooooooo......... threeeeeeeeeeee..... (stops counting)
Monique: (after a few moments) Nora? do you need help counting?
Nora: No I need help eating. I can't reach the pretzels!
I then get up to find her eating some of the snack that I had prepared for snack time and reaching for the pretzels. :)
Oh how I love preschool! It's my comic relief, professional fulfillment, and parental joy all rolled into one!

No comments:
Post a Comment