Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hard. Core.


Being a camper who would motorcycle in to a camping spot and everything we needed was on our backs, this is kind of embarrassing to admit that we camped out on our patio last night. Though I still think it was a great idea. Here is the low down: We settle down to bed after reading our chapter in Charlotte's Web, sing songs, pray, and read scriptures then giggle for about 30-45 min. Taking turns throwing pillows and piling on daddy. Then the real fun begins. . . . starting at 9:30pm.
  • Haley is cold, so I go and get her a jacket.
  • Maleia is cold, we go get a space heater and warmer jammies.
  • Dylan can't decide where to sleep. He kept getting up and going from one queen size mattress to the other. Each girl beckoning him to their mattress and causing some hurt feelings when he ends up on the hard floor in the middle.
  • Haley wakes up and needs to go potty.
  • Maleia wakes up and wants water. Whines so much she wakes up her brother who insisted that he wanted water too.
  • Dylan wakes up because he can't find his binky. He wakes up Haley who asks if it's time to get ready for school yet.
  • B gives up at 3am and goes inside. WIMP! (see what I am dealing with? sigh.) And for some reason he didn't like being called a wimp at 3am. . .
  • B comes in at 5am to kiss me goodbye... for work! (phew. He still loves me.) And wakes up Dylan while zipping up the zipper of the tent. (Paybacks...)
  • I lay with Dylan who miraculously ended up on an air mattress. Every 5 min. I open my eyes to him staring at me. After 30 min. of Dylan squirming, I go inside and put him in his crib.
  • I go back to sleep in the tent and wake up at 8 to Maleia calling my name. I get up and she announces: "That was the BEST NIGHT EVER!"
  • I go inside to Haley already up and dressed and eating breakfast. She was disappointed that there was no school. And then said, "Can we do that again tonight?"
So I feel we aren't as bad as the campers we saw at my family's campground (Campground at Woodland Park) with their 35 foot RVs and satellite dishes. We don't do much camping (to my chagrin) and this is what I could convince B to do.

I have to admit. It was fun despite the craziness in the night. Needless to say, we are forgoing our planned camping trip during fall break to Croatia. . . bring on the all-inclusive!

4 comments:

  1. that would be fun. sorry but i like the rv, not the dish though. don't even have that at home. but i like a comfortable bed. maybe it's the age thing. it would be fun to go real camping but when i think of taking three young kids, i think no way. there was this fabulous couple i know in denmark and they motorcycle across europe every summer, various destinations. now that sounds like a great retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the kids had a fun night! I can't wait until we get a yard and Dustin can take the kids "camping".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up =) I am glad the kids had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey at least you got a nice hot shower in the morning right?

    ReplyDelete