As we were watching the Rose Bowl (New Years Day) Parade, my kids were dancing to the marching bands, naming all the instruments, recognizing some songs, pointing out types of fl0wers that they knew, talking how one float was symmetrical, another float had patterns, reading what it said on each float, correcting the commentator on her grammar, then there was this conversation:
Haley: Who is that holding the maraca?
Me: You know who that is.
Haley: I really don't.
Maleia: Who's that yellow bird, mommy?
Me: thinking- you've got to be kidding me!
Haley: I know that one I think. Isn't that one the big bird on that show Sesame Street or something? But what's the name of the one with the maraca?
Me: That's Oscar the Grouch
Maleia: He looks scary. Is he from Mexico? (He is on a big float wearing a sombrero and holding a maraca. She knows that he looks like someone from Mexico at least...)
Me: No he's on the show Sesame Street too and he lives in a trash can.
Maleia: ew. gross!
Haley: I remember that show! Maleia, that is where Elmo comes from. (We have a few books with Elmo.)
Maleia: Elmo lives in a trash can too??!!
Me: (talking to Brandon) We have got to watch more Sesame Street.

I am such a bad mom. I can't believe my kids don't know the Sesame Street characters. They know every Disney character known to man, even from the sequels, but not Big Bird?? SO, my new Years Resolution is to watch more TV. :) And that will make me a better mom... right?
And update on this blog post:
Jen got me both the book and movie of Gone with the Wind. :) Thanks for the help. I don't know Gone with the Wind, my husband has not nor will ever watch Titanic, and my kids don't know Sesame Street. What kind of American family are we???

i must warn you, gone with the wind is REALLY long. and in my humble opinion the worst movie ever. okay, maybe not EVER, but at least the top ten. just be prepared...
ReplyDeletesherrie avery
OK, first of all, I'm about to write the Committee on Unamerican Activities and let them know that your children don't know who Oscar the Grouch is. I mean, are you INTENDING that they be pinko communist Europeans, or is that just accidental?
ReplyDeleteAnd gotta agree with the first poster - Gone With the Wind wasn't one of my all-time favorites. I found the characters kind of annoying. But it's one of my mom's favorites, so maybe it's just me.
I think this qualifies as "back door bragging." You know you're secretly pleased as pudding that your kids are literate, grammar-conscious, well-versed in music and instruments, etc. And you're pleased that they know more about these useful things than they know about Sesame Street, which in my opinion, is brain rot disguised as education. :) You're a fantastic mother!!!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't seen Gone with the Wind until about a year ago. I watched it for a class, and maybe it's because I was up late and determined to finish the whole thing( its about 4 hours) but I loved it! You'll hate Scarlett but I loved the story. And I refuse to ever watch Titanic too, and I'm not a big fan of eating BBQ ribs with my hands which TJ tells me is the most unamerican thing ever :]
ReplyDeleteOkay so it just took me ten minutes to FINALLY load the stupid box to make a comment and now I can't remember what I was going to say!! I am having blog rage at the moment =)
ReplyDeleteI never watched sesame street and I turned out okay right? Right? And good for Brandon! Don't watch Titanic... A discovery channel documentary is much better than that movie =) (Although, funny side note, we saw that movie as a family 1 day before my parents went on their first cruise!) I have also never read or watched "Gone with the wind." I probably never will. =)
My kids don't know that much about seseme street either. They do the nick jr. thing and disney as well. I'm not worried. It just saved us a trip up to seseme land that we lived by while in Maryland. I thought about making the trip and then realized they didn't really know they characters. $ in our pockets.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about it we only watch super why and word world now at my house. I kinda watched big bird growing up but Hudson doesn't like it.
ReplyDeleteI too have never seen gone with the wind. I loved titanic, but could do w out the umm not so full of family values scenes? They really weren't necessary. The tv documentarys were good too, have always been a tianic fan. Sesame place was great! My kids didn't watch too much but the park was safe, clean and just the right size fun.You are a great mom and excellent teacher. Wish we were closer!
ReplyDelete